When it comes to comparing solid surface countertops vs Quartz countertops, a lot is put into consideration. Quartz and solid surface countertops are commonly used countertop materials in many homes but the best countertop for your home should be decided based on comparing both materials. In this article, I will be doing a full comparison of Solid surface countertops and quartz countertops. This comparison will be based on Budget, Heat resistance, Feeling and composition of both materials.
Solid surface countertops vs Quartz countertops
Composition of Solid surface countertops vs Quartz countertops
Solid surface countertops like Corian is composed of mainly 66% of natural minerals and 33% acrylic resin. The different colors found in solid surface countertops are produced by mixing different pigments and mineral dusts. Quartz countertops include about 10% of binding resins, either polymeric or cement-based. The remaining 90% is made up quartz but can include additional elements like marble, glass, mirrors, etc.
For scratch resistance, Quartz countertops are much better. Although its best if you don’t cut on any of the countertops, Quartz countertops are difficult to scratch from mild use. This is because of the large amount of quartz in the product. Quartz is natural very hard and not easy to scratch. Solid surface countertops do not have as high of a scratch resistance.
Feeling when touched
When a solid surface countertop is touched, it feels soft and Matte-like. So would same that it is a warmer surface then Quartz countertops.
Quartz countertops are smooth and glossy. Since the material contains a high amount of quartz it can actually feel a bit cold to the touch.
For heat resistance, Quartz countertops are much better than solid surface countertops. Quartz countertops rarely get burn marks because the temperature required to burn quartz is so high and cannot easily be achieved in the kitchen. However, they do have a heat threshold around 300+ degrees. So it is not recommended to put hot pans directly on the surface just in case. Solid surface countertops are not near as heat resistance do the lack of heat resistant materials. It is highly not recommended to place hot pans on the surface and could result in burn marks if this is not followed.
Prices for both materials depends on the color and brand. A general rule to follow is that quartz is a more superior product and will cost more. But this may not hold true in all cases. You may be able to get a remnant piece of quartz for smaller project for about the same cost. Again depends on the color, brand, and also the fabricator.
Summary on Solid surface countertops vs Quartz countertops
Having listed the main differences between solid surface countertops vs Quartz Countertops, I can conclude that the choice is left to the buyer. Both materials bring different things to a design so if you need a stone like design then you should go for quartz countertops but if you need a warmer softer countertop then solid surface countertops are the best. Solid surface countertops can be engineered into different shapes that you may not be able to do that with quartz countertops. The best way to make an informed decision is to speak with a fabrication facility that offers both. They will be able to help you determine what is best for your project and let you see the options up close.
At Top Priority we offer both quartz countertops and solid surface countertops. Just give us a call to speak to an expert today or stop by our location.
Check out this link for more information.